Quick Start Guide
This guide describes basic IP phone tasks. Cisco End-User Guides provide information about additional features available on your phone.
Learn how to:
Place a Call
In addition to simply lifting the handset and dialing, you can:
- Predial—Dial the number without lifting the handset, then press Dial.
- Redial—Press the Redial softkey, or press the Navigation button to see your recently placed calls.
- Dial from a Directory—Press the Directories button and choose a call log.
- Speed dial—Press a speed-dial button or enter an Abbreviated Dial code.
Answer a Call
When a new call rings on your phone, you'll see these indicators:
- A flashing amber line button.
- An animated icon next to the button.
- A call window that displays caller ID.
To answer the call, lift the handset. Or press the flashing amber button or the Answer softkey.
If you get a second call while you're talking on the first call, a second window opens.
Press the Answer softkey to connect the second call, which puts the first call on hold automatically.
Keep these tips in mind when you're handling multiple calls:
- The softkeys across the bottom of your phone screen affect the active window only.
- The active window is darker than the other windows.
- You can use the navigation button below your phone screen to move between windows.
Send a Call to Voice Mail
To easily send a call to voice mail, just press iDivert when the call is ringing, connected, or on hold.
Put a Call On Hold
To put an answered call on hold, press the Hold softkey.
The hold icon appears and the line button flashes green.
To retrieve a call from hold, press the flashing green button or the Resume softkey.
Keep in mind:
- Pressing the Answer softkey to connect a new call puts an existing connected call on hold automatically.
- Before using Resume, make sure the appropriate call window is active (the active window is darker). If necessary, navigate to it.
Transfer a Call
To transfer a call:
- Start from a connected call (not on hold).
- Press the Transfer softkey.
- Dial the transfer recipient's number (or use speed dial).
- Wait for the recipient to answer or skip to Step 5.
- Press Transfer again to complete the transfer.
To redirect all incoming calls to another number:
- Press the CFwdALL softkey.
- Enter a phone number, or press a speed dial button or the Messages button (to forward to voice mail).
To verify that Call Forward All is active, look for the call forward icon and the "Forwarded to" phone number.
To cancel Call Forward All, press CFwdALL again. (You may need to press the more softkey first.)
Create a Conference Call
Using Conference (Confrn) to call participants
- Start with a connected call (not on hold) to which you want to add one or more conference participants.
- Press the Confrn softkey. (You may need to press the more softkey first.)
- Enter a participant's phone number.
- At any time after the call starts ringing, press Confrn again to begin the conference.
Repeat these steps to add participants.
To view a list of conference participants, press ConList. To remove a conference participant, highlight the participant's name on ConList and press Remove.
Use Online Help
Press and select a topic.
Access Voice Messages
Press to connect to your Exchange Voice Mail mailbox.
Set Up Speed Dial Numbers and Call Forwarding
- From your computer, go to the Self Care Portal web page and log in.
(Obtain the portal URL, your user name, and initial password from the system administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org.)
NOTE: You will be required to change your initial password at first login.
To change your password, click General Settings in the top menu. Enter and confirm a new password.
- To set up Speed Dial Numbers, click Phones (in the top menu) then Phone Settings (in the left menu).
Under Speed Dial Numbers, click Add New Speed Dial and fill in form with:
- Number (person's phone number as it would be dialed from a U-M phone)
- Label (name of person)
- Speed Dial (short number to dial)
To set up Call Forwarding, click Phones (in the top menu) then Call Forwarding (in the left menu).
Select Add a new number and enter a phone number as it would be dialed from a U-M phone.
Click Sign Out under your user name.